Sunday, October 31, 2010

More Trips to the ER

Friday and Saturday were good days for Dad. Debbie and Vickie came over Friday night and we had a slumber party around the hospital bed we have set up in the living room. Vickie was on the recliner and Debbie on the love seat curled up with countless blankets on top of her like she was in the middle of a winter storm inside the house. Dad requires the heat up several notches and for a gal like me that prefers a room to be properly chilled, I was in a sauna so it wasn't long before I said my good nights and went upstairs. I couldn't help teasing Vickie on my way out that the warmth in the room had her back in the womb and soon she'd be nodding off. Debbie said Dad slept really well that night.

Saturday night was a whole different matter. I was trying to get comfortable on the couch but like I said, the heat kicks my butt and I tossed and turned. Dad woke up countless times during the night asking for the time. The hiccups were bothering him again, interrupting his sleep, and he complained of stomach pains. He hadn't had any output in his coloscopy bag since Thursday and it was causing me some concern. The Gentiva Home Health Nurse told us that if he was still constipated by Sunday call the nurse on call. So bright and early Sunday morning I made the call, and we were advised to go to the ER, which we did. Jean came over and helped me get him to the car. Vickie joined us at around 12:30 and we waited with Dad in the room they tucked us in with him on a hospital bed covered in warm blankets. He talked non stop about his coloscopy bag, medicare, which he says we all need to read up on before our time is upon us, the difference between doctors, LPNs and PAs, the latter of which was the Doogie Houser looking dude that asked Dad medical questions and took his vitals. He was a twelve-year-old with a toy stethoscope. Dad's been plagued with some really brutal hiccups over the last week or so non stop, which the doctors says is attributed to the multiple serious illnesses he has, however for at least two hours at the ER he was hiccup free. And he ran his mouth as if to make up for lost time. Seriously? I kind of missed his chatter after almost two weeks of watching him catch his breath and gasp with spasms brought on by those darn hiccups. With all the other health issues he has to deal with hiccups just seem mean.

They gave Dad an emema and sent him home. With the aid of a walker we helped him back into the house and into a chair which he sat in for a while. I heated up some mash potatoes, meatloaf and peas Debbie made on Saturday and he ate heartily then asked Vickie to fix him another plate. Good to see him eating well. The day had taken its toll though and he seemed exhausted and weak. Again with the walker, I helped him back to his bed, lifted his legs up and helped him get comfortable and within minutes he was out cold. I really hope he sleeps well. I really hope he does.

God please ease up on the hiccups and allow Dad to have a restful sleep tonight. Love, Angie.

No comments:

Post a Comment