Friday, May 28, 2010

Update

I've been seriously remiss for not writing in my blog. The good news is that for a moment there Dad was doing really well. The bad news is that as of today, not so much. But as I've said before, I'm notorious for only writing down my thoughts when things are rough.

The good news first...dad has been doing really well up until a couple of weeks ago. He was surviving chemo and moving closer to the end of his treatments, he was feeling stronger and doing more things on his own, like shopping for groceries and using the motor lawnmower to cut the grass. After suggesting/insisting that he make (and keep) an appointment with the Ostomy nurses at St. Joseph he learned how to manage his coloscopy bag himself and was feeling very confident and I think more in control of his life. Which is important. I went from staying at dad's all week to only being there a couple of times during the week.

Now the bad news. One night I get a call from dad at around 11:00 pm complaining of difficulty breathing. I was in my night clothes and ready to jump in the sack after swallowing a Tylenol pm. I got dressed, jumped in my car (quick prayer that the Tylenol didn't kick in and I run into a pole), and headed to dad's. The situation was dire when I got there and I suggested we call 911.When dad readily agreed, I knew we were in trouble because in the past he'd tell me not to call "those people". Dad ended up being admitted to St. Claires Hospital in Lakewood and staying as their guest for a good week, after being diagnosed with pneumonia and congestive heart failure. He was released from the hospital with a few more bottles of meds to add to the stuff he already has plenty of, and a whole lot of instructions. The episode has forced him to take several steps backwards both physically and emotionally. We're back to keeping company with fear. Ah man.

No comments:

Post a Comment