Sunday, February 27, 2011

Back To The ER

Wednesday started off similar to Monday with an early morning call from Dad. Except this time en route to his house I called 911, and Vickie to meet me, once again, at Dad's. When Dad called I could immediately tell he was in trouble. He was having a great deal of difficulty getting his words out and said he was coughing up blood. My stomach dipped, and I got queasy, and I swear my heart was beating so fast I felt my chest would explode. When I got to the house the paramedics were standing on the door step. I used my key in the lock and prayed it opened and wasn't blocked by the stick. Right before I opened the door, the paramedic cautioned me to be careful as Dad could have collapsed right on the other side of the door. He hadn't. Dad was sitting on the steps gasping for air. While a couple of paramedics took care of Dad, another one asked me the usual questions: his age, brief medical history, copy of list of meds. Surprisingly, as I was gulping down my fear, I was able to answer: age 79, Rectal cancer, past heart attack, kidney disease, COPD, past stroke, diabetes, congestive heart failure. My poor dear Dad.

Vickie and I, in our own cars, followed the ambulance to Good Samaritan Hospital in Puyallup and after doing a stint in Emergency where they ran a ton of tests, he was admitted to the hospital, where they are still running test. He's on oxygen and anytime they try to reduce the amount his levels drop drastically. He coded twice where they had some trouble reviving him. Both times it was because he'd pulled the oxygen mask away from his face--or a BIPAP, the 21st century version of iron lung. It's heavy, uncomfortable and Dad can't stand it. But his kidneys aren't functioning properly--on a good day they work about 30%--and tonight they gave him lasix, which is supposed to reduce the excess fluids around the heart and other major organs--the major cause of his breathing difficulties. If that doesn't work they will put him on dialysis. Permanently.

Oh God, my heart is breaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment